Saturday, May 26, 2018

Starting Again!

Much to my disappointment, my Markham of Chesterfield blog has stood idle for more than two years.  But, for me, that is how life “unfolds” at times.  Over the past few months I have returned to work on the Mathews branch of my family, and I am ready to post up a few more stories on this intriguing group.  My own connection to the Mathews family is through Catherine (Catalina) Mathews, who married John Markham about 1740, probably in Orange county New York.  Her parentage remains in question, but it appears most likely that she is the oldest daughter of Vincent Mathews and Catalina Abeel, of Mathewsfield in Orange county New York. 

In 2015-2016 I included several stories on this blog related to the likely ancestors of Catherine Mathews – Captain Peter Mathews, New York Governor Benjamin Fletcher, and William Fletcher and Henry Vincent of London.  More recently I have been looking at Catherine Mathews’ likely aunts, uncles, siblings, and cousins.  There are some very interesting characters in the group, and I am looking forward to sharing a few of their stories. 

For more details on Catherine Mathews visit her individual pages at the Markham of Chesterfield website.



About the photo:  Woman Writing by August Macke, 1910. Public Domain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...